Waiting...still

I have never actually known anyone who 'like' to be kept waiting (for someone/something) but I knew a lot of people who 'like' to keep people waiting. How many times do you actually hear people say - "take your time I have all day"...well, sometimes you do, but they always come with a negative connotation. Haruki Murakami once said - “For a while" is a phrase whose length can't be measured. At least by the person who's waiting” (South of the Border, West of the Sun). How so true..

Imagine those times when you have to play the waiting game.Time seemed to move ever so slowly. The situation would usually worsen when you received no information whatsoever on the state of the person or things you are waiting for. Imagine the time when you paced the corridors of the hospital, while a loved one was going through surgery, the time when you sat for a major exam and wondered what the result would be, the time when you waited by the telephone waiting for a call from someone about something urgent. It's usually nerve-wrecking, bound by anxiousness, tempers can flare, the boundary of your patience tested and sometimes you ended up not able to do anything or moving forward (apart from perhaps bitting your finger nails :-P or browsing the web aimlessly). Once, I admit, I kept a person waiting for an important report overnight because I wanted the person to 'suffer'... haha evil me...well, actually I didn't planned it to be that way. I was thinking of the delay more as a cooling off period :-D, giving time to think things over hahaha... excuses, excuses... Well, we are cool, well at least I think we are :-). S/he seem to have kept his/her cool while 'lying in wait' (but at the back of his/her mind - only Allah knows)

But the key point was - s/he was patient. S/he waited patiently and did not rush me, despite his/her ability and capability to do so. And I eventually came up with the report (as expected - I am just too nice, opps sorry puji diri sendiri) and we managed to still go along with one another. So it's true, wise men say only fools rush in ;-) (hmm.. isn't that a song :-P). I guess when it comes to waiting, one would always infer that we need be to a patient 'waiter' (hehe betui ka term ni), but the truth is, it's how we conduct ourselves while waiting, that actually matters. Is it a good or bad attitude? Perhaps, considering how often we need to wait for in so many occasions in our lives, we should come prepared for such time - come with a book, come with other works needed completing, come with a smart phone or tablet fully charged. Don't just wait aimlessly, wait meaningfully 'and be patient. Surely Allah is with those who are patient (Surah Al- Anfaal: 46) 

P/S: Speaking of waiting. It's now been two months past my thesis' submission date. I am now filling up my calendar with so many tasks, in hopes to forget I am still waiting ;-)


It is a state of the mind ~ mine, sometimes :-|

Comments

Popular Posts