Zombie Talking

This week is the marking season for the Foundation and Diploma courses at my uni. At the same time, teaching for the Degree courses is running in its 3rd week. For the past 2-3 semesters I have only handled degree papers. But this semester I need to cover a paper for the Pre-Law students too. So for the first time after a couple of semesters back home, I find myself needing to juggle marking exams for 82 students and a few hours of classes handling 90 other students.  

Marking in itself is stressful, but being in such juggling situation had left me in a 'snappy' mood. What more with all the annoying thing you faced while marking exams year in and year out. (You can read about all that here.) My allocated one week time became even more 'compressed' forcing me to bring the scripts home. At home my patience are also running low, where I find myself snapping at unnecessary task and questions. Pity the kids :-( But there's just so much I can do. 

Actually, at work, patience about a lot of matter have been running low. Last week, after 10 years, I found myself standing up in a hall of 100 over lecturers speaking up about exam matters. Suddenly, I found myself 'infamous'. But I can't take it anymore, and the junior lecturers simply have too much too lose to even consider speaking up for themselves. So I considered standing up and voicing my concerns (where half of them wasn't even mine) as a community service to all my colleagues. At least, the management know we are not a happy camper with what that has been going on.

Two days later, I went down to my new boss' office and again voice out all of my comments, dissatisfaction and suggestion about the administrators - almost all of those complaints not even my own. He'd promised to look into the matter. But seriously, if nothing is being done in the next couple of months, most of us would simply just could'n't be bothered anymore. Get ready to be managing Zombies!!! Because that is what we are all going to turn into...   

Comments

Popular Posts