Myself - Part 2

I actually learnt a lot from movies and fictions, apart from the language. Some may be just mindless movies and novels, but there were some that taught me about 'sophistication', about 'differences' and from there I contrast them with society around me and developed some form of critical thinking and self evaluation. At an early age, some of these movies and stories left a lasting impression on me and I started being 'critical' of the idiosyncracies in my society. However, some of those critical views were 'set-off' by the way my father raised me. My father's role sort of balanced my critical views of my society. He became a symbol that despite the presence of those idiosyncracies, they were still hope, they were still rationale, sensible, responsible man like him.

Being the eldest, I was expected to be a role model for the rest of my siblings. They'd usually be sessions we'd called as 'buka buku' every time the school's result were finalized where my father would give a small briefing about responsibilities, about being steadfast in whatever we do, especially in our studies. He'd stress on the importance of education because despite not being poor, we are not well off either and he strongly believed with education our lives would change for the better. Yes, then it was rather stressful to be 'allocated' with so much responsibilities. I even noticed these meetings/briefings becoming less as he aged and him being less strict with my younger siblings. Looking back, I now refused to see the differences in treatment as unfair, because in fact it was a fair advantage on my side for the instilment of those values, had made me into who I am today.

My teenage and pre-adoslecent years were somewhat of a blur to me.  I guess raging hormones made you do stupid things and commit blunders. So why bother writing them down haha...I spent the first 3 years of my secondary school in Puteri Wilayah in Kg Bharu. I was supposed to be in a boarding school, the Sekolah Menengah Agama KL. But since the school's complex was yet to be ready, all the students were 'parked' in Puteri Wilayah for almost 3 years. But school wise, especially as teenagers Kg Bharu is the place to be. There's just so many fond memories of the place. Some of my school projects involved going around the place. There was yet to be a KLCC then, so there were less traffics, less people and the place was considered safe for us girls. I wished they wouldn't tear the whole place down. Being an all girls school too made us do crazy things sometimes. But as I said just now, it was a blur hehe...

After 3 years, we were all moved to Bukit Manjalara in Kepong. At one time, I had my brother and sister in the same school. hmmm...not so much fun there :-P But my parents would visit us every other week and cooked us a banquet. My mother is a great cook. So near every weekend we would called and make our request. It was one of the most memorable memories I had at the school. Other than that, more blunders haha... I guess where boys came in the equation, you'd do more foolish things..huhu am not telling. Anyway, school was a bit more stressful than usual, because I had to sit for my SPM by then. But I did well. I was offered to go to US, but my father disapproved. So I head straight to IIUM to do Law. Law was a sensible choice for me, although my father was somewhat reluctant at first to let me take the offer. Well, perhaps it was the right choice then. Although, I would really love it if they had thrown in a psychology minor in the course. But unfortunately nada... Maybe in another life...

The first four years of uni was excellent. Then, life pressures caved in. You saw people with different backgrounds, different lifestyles, different ideals and saw them do various things and saw yourself somewhat stucked at one point in time. Then, I started doing foolish things again, especially when men came in the equation haha...hmmm..I am sensing a pattern here :-P However, eventually, I found a husband and settled down. huhuhu that sounds so simple isn't it - well, it wasn't. But in that journey  and the problems that came with it, I got to know various acquaintances, became close to some considered as misfits in the uni's society. They were 'outcast', not necessarily friendless, but not into the mainstream either. I guess I was one of them too, since I go along pretty well with them hehe. But my knowing them taught me an important lesson, not everything you see someone projected to others represent that person as a whole. There's more than meets the eye. So I learnt to be less judgmental of others.

Comments

Popular Posts