LASIK @ Prince Court Medical Centre - Operation Day

In preparation for the surgery, the night before and early during Sahur, I had to drop some antibiotics drops into my eyes and also Isopto Carpine drops in order to reverse the effect of the Cyclo drops instilled during screening. I was also advised to take a painkiller - Arcoxia during Sahur. 

Initially the operation was scheduled for after Jum'ah prayer. So my sister and Aliyah planned to do some shopping before heading to the hospital. However in the midst of our shopping activities :-), the nurse from the LASIK centre had called wondering if we could come earlier, since the Prof would be held in a major surgery later in the day and she had time to do the operation before Friday. So we rushed home and head to the hospital and reached there before 12 noon. 

At the centre, a gown and head cap was put on me by one of the nurses and I was shoved into the operation theater. One of the technician asked me to lie down on the operation 'bed' that could actually revolved from the flap cutting machine to the laser machine.  First he checked my corneas and their dilation level. He confirmed their readiness.

One of the nurse then explained to me on what I need to do during the flap cutting procedures. I was asked to focus on a single point and not move my view elsewhere regardless of the various lights I see under the machine. Truthfully, despite all the youtubes of the procedure posted online, I had purposely avoided watching any of them for fearing that I would 'chicken out' :-P. I think it was a good decision on my part, because having my sister told me how she saw the whole operation from outside the theater, sounds rather scary! On my part, I don't actually feel any pain at all, right from the beginning till the end of the procedure, Alhamdulillah.

Before the procedures started, my glasses were removed, I was asked to look at the usual 'E' board and of course saw nothing ;-). My face was cleaned and numbing drops were instilled in my eyes. Then came the flap cutting procedures. Prof Muhaya started the whole procedure by reciting Al-Fatihah and her motivational speech. Strangely enough, or maybe not so, I had chosen to remain as quiet as possible. (I thought, let's let the doctor do her thing with less distraction hahaha...) They taped one eye shut and put in the eyelid opener in the other so I will not be able to blink and started the corneal flap cutting procedures. It ended in less than 5 minutes and the whole process was repeated in the other eye.

Immediately afterwards, they just pushed me to the laser machine. Similarly, they taped one eye shut and put in the eyelid opener and asked me to look at one single light on the  machine. The Prof then started to 'peel open' the corneal flap cut earlier. Nothing painful really. Looking at the video posted online on her other patients later, the procedure looked rather painful than it actually felt. Cause truthfully, I just felt like a tugging sensation and throughout the whole procedure I can either see lights, clear ones or blurry, so no sense of panic ever enter yourself. Once the flap was pulled to the sides, she started the laser procedures. I was instructed to look at one of the lights until it dim. I can smell like something is burning for awhile and within minutes, the process was over. The same process was repeated on the other eye, then. 

Laser Procedures

Throughout, the whole thing, Prof Muhaya was giving her motivational inspiration. One thing that really caught me was the point where she said "Only positives people will succeed, negatives people will only see negative things". I was thinking..hmm great motivational speech because immediately after the whole operation, I guess a lot of people would expect great result. But it may not be necessarily the case. Different people have different 'reaction' to the whole operation and its aftermath. So the key point she's trying to instill is to be positive and think of all the things you can now achieve with your new sights, instead of whining on why it's not what you'd expected them to be. (great marketing too by the way hehe) 

I didn't have any terrible pain afterwards, did not need any painkillers, just the eye drops - the anti inflammatory ones and the antibiotics. I also felt rather sleepy, maybe a mechanism for the eyes to take a rest. I can immediately see the difference in my sights, but everything looks as though I was looking through a fog or haze. I was given a UV protected sunshades and instructed to continue the drops for a week. I rested at the day ward for an hour - the 3 of us making the most havoc hahaha, made appointment for post-surgery check up and then the 3 of us were heading home. 

Aliyah & me at the Day Ward, post operation :-)

Comments

Popular Posts