Danger Zone?

I had a late evening meeting with Simon yesterday, giving way to Babah's taekwando demonstration at LTU (2nd day in a row - the first was at RMIT Bundy) in the morning. Since the meeting ended around 5 and I just arrived at the office around 3, so I thought I would work awhile, until I almost ran out of sunlight for the day. That would nowadays mean around 8 pm.

At 7.50 pm, I packed my things and told my officemate, I am heading home. I said to her, thinking of the news lately, 'There seem to be more violence in Melbourne nowadays, I better get home before it gets dark'. So off I went walking down my office building, taking a short cut by passing the sides of the Beth Gleeson block and the lake, in my beautiful cotton baju kurung, coatless, thinking out loudly, it's getting cold out here!! Hurry up...must get home quickly, before I freezed.

Suddenly, near Chisholm college, I saw a group of people standing near the pavements of the college, just a few meters from the security gatehouse. 2 security guards were also there standing over someone who seemed to be lying on the pavements. I crossed the road towards them, since that's the only route I can reach home. I saw another 2 guys walking away from the scene, one of them asking somewhat angrily about whether there's blood on his shirt??!! I think I have just missed a brawl. I think it was. I can then see that the guy lying down was bleeding through his nose profusely. He was disoriented and a few other students (including student host for the university's orientation week) was trying to calm him down.

And here I was, in a dazed walking pass them, thinking again...didn't I just mention about violence at the office just now and for it to happen so near the security gatehouse, in campus - where they are supposed to securely guard the campus? Maybe I should have waited for the security bus instead. But then again, there are times when I felt taking the bus would also jeopardize my life, with the way the drivers drove that bus/van. It's a miracle that I securely arrived home with the bus, most times, bumped all the way. Still, what just happened??!!

P/S: Sadly, that's not the only unfortunate thing that happen at the colleges within this 24 hours. A student died early this morning, after falling down a stairwell at Glenn College :-( My condolences go out to the student's family & friends.

Comments

  1. Wow, talk about tiptoeing from danger! Luckily nothing bad happened to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thnaks Jep, wasn't really thinking about myself, then. Sian pulak tgk. Hopefully, he'll be alright.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts