Confessions of a Sugar Addict 3

It has been almost 10 weeks since I started intermittently fasting (IF). This would be my second all-out venture to reduce my weight. The last time I committed to such venture was in 2011. Each time I tried the next time would be post having a child. Not too successful I must say huhu...Post having Umar things worsen. My long year break from teaching may have helped with my sanity but it did not encourage much movement from me. Then PKP hits us all. The rest is history. Post my Merdeka trip sending off Uwais to school at the end of August, I realised how far gone I was. It's time to get back on track before it's too late. I feared my lifestyle that I have fallen into in the past years will lead me to be diabetic. Mama had it. And though she succumbed to cancer, it was her diabetes that made it even harder on her. 

So I have decided that I will commit to IF, and after a few weeks I think I would probably do this for the rest of my life. I have stopped almost all sugary drinks (which I wasn't able to before), I started reducing my rice intake as I used to do years back and I have gone back to daily regular walking. I now have more time in the morning to do work and I no longer spent money on breakfast. I ate mostly what I felt like eating, albeit in smaller portion and I basically stopped eating by 6-7 pm till past brunch time the next day. It's not something hard on my schedule or socializing.

The past week though has been rather stressful though. I was afraid my cortisol level will slow down progress. But Alhamdulillah, so far everything is progressing well. A bit on the slow side at times, but that's better than no progress at all. It took me 4 months last time in 2011 to reach my target in my mid-30s, and at my current age, I think this is great progress so far. But the struggle to stay on track is real with so many works staring back at you, not inclusive of your kids rampaging at home due to PKPB 🙄 May we all stay sane till this pandemic is gone.

At the same time, I have been going around motivating others to do the same or at least try to start. Responses vary, of course. But there's one thing I can never help with when a person so clearly in the obese category, and know what needed to be done, but decided against taking any action about it. Lost case, I surrender. And please, don't mock friends struggling to get fit. Don't expect them to be catwalk model in weeks when they have been bogged down under their weight for all their lifetime. It's a long, arduous journey. They need your support, not to be jeered at or made fun of. Please, let us support each other.

I hope to reach my target soon and will be able to maintain it through IF, bi'iznillah. I have another half-way to go. Insya Allah, will be there soon enough 😉

This is me when I started intermittent fasting in early September 2020



This is me after 10 weeks, in mid-November 2020








Comments

Popular Posts